What is Scripture?
1. "And this is the ensample unto them, that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost. And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation." Doctrine and Covenants 68:3–4
2. "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" 2 Peter 1:21
Our scriptures are a compilation of the parchments, scrolls, and animal skins over thousands of years. Glen Kimball said: "These documents were not written by the churches of the world, or by journalists, scientists or historians. They were written by the imperfect friends and family of Jesus himself -- those who wanted us to know Him as they did."[i]
The Past of Scripture
- Sources of the Holy Bible: Following the crucifixion, upon skins, scrolls, letters, in the basements of churches[ii]
- Sanhedrin - A body of 71 men, consisting of mostly wealthy Pharisees, but lead by Annas and Caiaphas who were Sadducees. The Sadducees determined that the only scripture they used were the 5 books of Moses. All other prophetic writings of the 24 prophets since Moses were not to be found in Jerusalem, but in the library of Alexandria in Egypt[iii]
- Secret Combination formed after crucifixion to remove women from scriptures. In 200 AD, sacred documents by and about women were burned[iv]
- Roman Emperor Constantine declared Christianity the official religion in 313 AD. [v]
- Rumors of the 2nd coming, but didn't happen. He took opportunity to declare himself as a deity and of apostolic descent, diminishing Christ's role. [vi]
- Constantine calls the council of Nicea in 325 AD. This Council was politically charged and combined the parchments, scrolls, and skins that suited their political agendas into what we call our modern bible. [vii]
- Those who spoke against the new Trinity doctrine of God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost as a single being were called heretics. One man named Arius tried to encourage the inclusion of sacred texts from Alexandria in Egypt, and was vocal in support of God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Ghost as individual beings. At one meeting a man named Nicholas punched Arius in the face. [viii]
- In 325 ad the text was canonized and anyone who spoke in favor of adding additional records were called heretics[ix]
- The letters, journals, and firsthand account documents that failed to be included became known as "Apocrypha" which means "Hidden" or "Secret". Some argue these writings contain more of the words and accounts of Jesus than are included in the Bible, and more are being found all the time.
· The word "Apocrypha" has a bad connotation in many circles, but it is good: "Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha—There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly; There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men. Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated. Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth; And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom; And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen." Doctrine and Covenants 91
- During the 18 years of absence of Jesus in the New Testament, the young Savior of the world was traveling with his brother Joseph of Arimathea to India, throughout the Roman Empire which included basically the Mediterranean, and went as far west as Briton.
- While on those journeys, writings and accounts of Jesus were written and are included in many apocryphal writings, as well as Buddhist and Hindu records, and are included in the Islamic Quran. Because those writings are recorded among other world religions' records they are largely rejected by mainstream Christians.
Are the Scriptures Complete?
Joseph Smith said: “… ‘Is not the canon of the Scriptures full? If it is, there is a great defect in the book, or else it would have said so.”[x]
The Present of Scripture
Canon - A word of Greek origin, originally meaning “a rod for testing straightness,” now used to denote the authoritative collection of the sacred books used by the true believers in Christ.[xi]
- The Holy Bible
- The Book of Mormon
- The Doctrine and Covenants
- The Pearl of Great Price
*Going back to original definition, anything spoken "when moved upon by the Holy Ghost". Regardless of Gender, or church position
The Future of Scripture
"We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." Articles of Faith 1:9
Neal A. Maxwell said: “Lost books are among the treasures yet to come forth. Over twenty of these are mentioned in the existing scriptures. Perhaps most startling and voluminous will be the records of the lost tribes of Israel (see 2 Ne. 29:13). We would not even know of the impending third witness for Christ except through the precious Book of Mormon, the second witness for Christ! This third set of sacred records will thus complete a triad of truth. Then, just as the Perfect Shepherd has said, “My word also shall be gathered in one” (2 Ne. 29:14). There will be “one fold and one shepherd” (1 Ne. 22:25) in a welding together of all the Christian dispensations of human history (see Doctrine and Covenants 128:18).”[xii]
2 Nephi 29: 6-14
6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?
7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?
8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.
9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.
11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.
12 For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.
13 And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.
14 And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my people, who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed forever.
What will it look like when additional scripture comes forward?
We've heard the Joseph and Moroni story so many times that I'm concerned if scripture comes to us in a different way that we may refuse it. I encourage an open mind, and above all, follow the Holy Ghost (Moroni 10:5). Glen Kimball said: "The Christians of today walk around with Jesus on their lips, but with rejection of the extra-Biblical stories of Jesus, just like many Jews did in Jesus' time. Reading material outside the Bible is considered 'heresy' for Christians to this day."[xiii]
How will Father in Heaven unite the nations and religions of the world? Will it not be through scripture?
Would it be shocking to learn that during those missing years of Christ from the New Testament, that he was traveling with his brother Joseph of Arimathea and not only lived among Buddhists and Hindu's, but became respected, and even deified in those religions? By some accounts Jesus Christ is the great Buddha Isha. By other accounts Jesus is the Hindu God Krishna. He is Jehova, the God of the Jews; and he was highly regarded among Islam and Mohhamed as a prophet, as well as other stories from the New Testament. As with other mythology and folklore, impure traditions have crept into these stories, but earnest seeking and asking may verify the truth of this idea.
I see a future time at the Savior's return when only he can pronounce to all the major religions of the world, that He has been in their scriptures for 2,000 years or more, and we knew him not, and that he longs to gather us as a hen gathereth her chickens. 3 Nephi 10:5–6. Only then can all the inhabitants of the earth truly know He is our God, Savior, and the rightful King of the earth. Only then will we see as the Apocryphal prophet Zenos said in the allegory of the Olive Tree that the vineyard we all live in was once pure, and the fruit of the vineyard has indeed become corrupt, and it is time to go back to our mother tree, the House of Israel (see Jacob 5, and 6).
I know for myself that more scripture will come forward, and even already has. With all the unexplored ruins in the America's it is likely additional scripture from the Lamanites and Nephites will come forward. With all the missions and church investment in the Phillipines, more is likely to come from there. With the near complete silence of Christ's presence in mainland Asia we are likely to see records from there, and in fact, already have. And I've received personal witness that additional records will come forth from Briton, which will validate the truths contained in British Folklore and Legend. All of which will no doubt validate the divine role of the Savior, and help to establish him as the true King of Kings of the whole earth and beyond.
[i] Glenn Kimball, "Hidden Stories of the Childhood of Jesus Vol 1", 1999 printing; pg. 15
[ii] Glenn Kimball, "Hidden Stories of the Childhood of Jesus Vol 1", 1999 printing; pg. 19
[iii] Glenn Kimball, "Hidden Politics of the Crucifixion", 1998; pg 59
[iv] Glenn Kimball, "Hidden Politics of the Crucifixion", 1998; pg 61
[v] Glenn Kimball, "Hidden Stories of the Childhood of Jesus Vol 1", 1999 printing; pg. 20
[vi] Laurence Gardner, "Bloodline of the Holy Grail", 2001; Pg. 139
[vii] Glenn Kimball, "Hidden Stories of the Childhood of Jesus Vol 1", 1999 printing; pg. 28
[viii] Laurence Gardner, "Bloodline of the Holy Grail", 2001; Pg. 139
[ix] Glenn Kimball, "Hidden Politics of the Crucifixion", 1998; pg 61
[x] Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 121
[xii] Neal A. Maxwell, “God Will Yet Reveal” October 1986 General Conference Talk
[xiii] Glenn Kimball, "Hidden Politics of the Crucifixion", 1998; pg 61